Friday, December 31, 2021

Keeping The Home Customs Practiced: New Year's Resolution

 Nadene Goldfoot                                          

In this new age of 2022, I hope to make my New Year Resolution of continuing the practice of our people's customs, like all the memorable practices on a Sabbath.  To light the candles before it's dark out and say a prayer to G-d, asking for the health of all my loved ones really sets the tune of a Friday night that my parents didn't do.  More than ever before, it's these customs that keeps us well balanced and happy.  

                                                                


I've been doing it since my middle age and keep on doing it.  That's why I can say what it does for me.  I've seen the benefits.   It's a time that reminds me of who I am and what I'm here for.  It gives me purpose of life.  This, mixed with a special meal and often times the aromas arising from special home-made food, the chicken soup on the stove simmering with the aroma hitting my nostrils combined with the Challah, bread in the oven with its overwhelming good smells, making me almost dizzy with good anticipation of sitting down to a good meal, the one meal that I cook for the week. Not to mention, it's the one day of the week that is set aside for rest.  It's good as that's the day I will not cook or use my electrical cooking gadgets until night-time, after Shabbat.  I get a break!  Yeah! I'm even alone, so it doesn't matter, but I do, and I'll know,  so remain practicing customs that are special. it's my identification.                                                                    

We have the habit of sluffing off customs in this modern technical age, and we become just like everyone else, following their lead.  What makes us interesting to people is our uniqueness, whoever we are; our ideas, life style, people to consider that adds to each other's life and makes living more interesting.


Look at having New Year's Resolutions.  It's fun.  Don't you look back and remember what your family did on New Year's?  Right now some people around my house are setting off fireworks and I can hear something like a boom going off about 5 times in a minute apart from each other.  Dogs wish that this custom would be ended.  They usually hide under your bed.                                                               

                                   Enjoying every day as it comes

My mother had a custom when we went to the beach every summer.  She had to go to a certain fish restaurant where she ordered her favorite goodies.  This all makes a family and is sometimes the glue that holds it together.  

Happy New Year 2022 Everyone!!!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment